INTRODUCTION: Several modalities are available for the treatment of giant congenital nevus (GCN). The surgical approach includes partial serial resection or total excision. Objective: To demonstrate the main therapeutic modalities in the treatment of GCN and to assess the incidence of location, age, and size of this lesion at the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Service of the Hospital de Clínicas, Federal University of Paraná.
METHODS: This retrospective study included patients who had undergone surgical treatment for GCN between January 2004 and January 2010. We collected data such as age, sex, treatment performed, number of surgeries carried out, evolution, and complications.
RESULTS: We evaluated 11 patients (8 female and 3 male). The average age was 12.4 years (range, 3-25 years). The GCN subtype most commonly found was intradermal melanocytic nevus, which accounted for 90.9% of cases, with melanocytic nevus accounting for the remaining 9.1%. No cases of melanoma were identified. The most common location was the head and neck. The average diameter of the lesions was 9.1 cm. The techniques used for the reconstruction included primary suture, local flaps, skin graft, and the use of expanders. In the follow-up period, 63.6% of the patients still presented a residual nevus, 27.3% underwent complete resection, and 9.1% were not monitored.
CONCLUSION: A higher incidence of GCN was observed in patients aged 3-25 years. The most common location was the face, and the average size was 9.1 cm. The main treatment of patients with GCN was splitting resection, which resulted in satisfactory outcomes.
Keywords: Nevus; Treatment; Reconstructive surgical procedures.